The Ambulatory Surgery Division operates over 100 ambulatory surgery centers’ across the U.S. Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASCs) perform surgeries that do not require hospital admission. They provide cost-effective services and a convenient environment. Procedures are performed in a fully equipped operating room and recovery is under the care of highly skilled nurses. Whether young or old or somewhere in between, patients and their families benefit from the comfortable environment ASCs have to offer. Surgeries performed include eye, ear, nose and throat (ENT), general surgery, gynecologic, plastic surgery, podiatry and orthopedics. Apply Now! Come Join our Team!
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Contributes to the company’s mission and vision by utilizing the GI/Endoscopy nursing process in planning, executing, and evaluating the nursing care rendered in GI until patient is dismissed from the facility. Nursing care meets the standards of the profession, the policies and procedures of the Center, and is appropriate to the Center’s patient population to identify patient and family needs.
SUPERVISOR - Nurse Manager, Nurse Supervisor, or designee.
SUPERVISES - None
CLASSIFICATION – Non-Exempt
OPERATIONAL DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Demonstrates necessary practical, technical or specialized knowledge and skills required for the role of the GI nurse in accordance with patient care and regulatory standards of practice.
• Prepares the endoscopy unit adequately and ensures availability of necessary GI equipment and supplies.
• Compiles patient care forms chart to ensure that all required documentation is immediately available (i.e. assessment, consents, H/P, physician orders, etc.).
• Utilizes good customer service while interacting with patient, family and physicians. Keeps patient and family informed on a timely basis.
• Utilizes appropriate patient identifiers prior to all interventions.
• Assesses patient’s level of fear/anxiety and provides comfort and support for patient and family.
• Reviews and carries out physician orders timely and according to policy.
• Conducts complete patient assessment and evaluation of each patient prior to procedure or treatment. Includes vital signs, history, physical, pain level, and psychological assessment.
• Assess patient’s understanding of procedure and checks consent for accuracy and completeness. Obtains and witnesses signature if needed.
• Leads the team in the time out process to make sure all necessary information is communicated with the entire patient care team prior to beginning the procedure and during the de-briefing session after the procedure.
• Conducts hemodynamic monitoring as indicated by procedure and policy (vital signs, cardiac monitoring, end tidal monitoring, etc.) from pre-op to discharge.
• Demonstrates appropriate aseptic techniques as indicated by interventions (hand hygiene, IV therapy, medication preparation, and equipment preparation).
• Initiates intravenous therapy as indicated, utilizing aseptic technique with appropriate IV catheter and fluid. Ensures that medication is labeled appropriately.
• Maintains patient privacy, comfort, and safety throughout the stay i.e. bed rails up, brakes on stretchers, positioning, etc.
• Assists the physician with interventions as indicated (positioning, preparing specimens, GI tract tattooing, etc.)
• Prepares and administers medications in accordance with current practice (i.e. pre-op antibiotics, identifying high alert medications, preparing/labeling medications on/off field, consistently utilizing the 7 rights before administration, monitoring patient response, narcotic waste, etc.)
• Demonstrates knowledge of administering and monitoring IV conscious sedation medications and recognizes the need for reversal drugs.
• Recognizes emergency situations and responds effectively in a calm and controlled manner.
• Documents all appropriate patient information in accordance with charting guidelines.
• Relays appropriate hand off communication to other appropriate nursing personnel to ensure continuity of care.
• Retrieves tissue for pathology as directed by physician, properly labels, and prepares requisitions for appropriate labs and delivers to appropriate area (i.e. biopsies, CLO test, etc.) and logs specimens, as required.
• Utilizes appropriate body mechanics in moving patients and stretchers to prevent injury to patient and self.
• Demonstrates knowledge related to maintenance and cleanliness of instruments and equipment. Maintains a sanitary environment for the provision of patient care. As required per facility policies.
• Demonstrates knowledge of high disinfectant and sterilization of endoscopy equipment. (Maintains daily log, testing for potency of solution with each cycle, performs monthly biological tests and completes log, as per facility policies).
• Handles equipment with care.
• Appropriately handles the disposal of biohazardous materials.
• Restocks area daily, using appropriate par levels and daily stock sheets while utilizing facility resources appropriately and avoids wasteful practices.
• Spends appropriate time and energy on tasks and assignments based on the policies that are supportive of the Center’s goals and objectives.
• Functions independently according to job responsibilities and within scope of practice utilizing current standards of care.
• Takes personal initiative to maintain current RN licensure, BCLS, ACLS, PALS (if indicated) and other professional certifications current as defined by job role.
• Attends all mandatory in-services, staff meetings and participates in emergency drills.
• Participates in the orientation of new employees as assigned.
• Completes annual competency and other required education as assigned.
• Maintains confidentiality and security of records and patient information at all times.
• Practices and adheres to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”.
• While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current Position, it is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Management reserves the right to revise the Position or require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances warrant (i.e. emergencies, changes in personnel or staffing, workload, rush jobs, or technical developments).
Click here for more info: https://hca.taleo.net/careersection/0hca/jobdetail.ftl?job=26430-3749&lang=en
• Post ID: 50737378 miami