The Ambulatory Surgery Division operates over 100 ambulatory surgery centers’ across the U.S. Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASCs) perform surgeries that do not require hospital admission. They provide cost-effective services and a convenient environment. Procedures are performed in a fully equipped operating room and recovery is under the care of highly skilled nurses. Whether young or old or somewhere in between, patients and their families benefit from the comfortable environment ASCs have to offer. Surgeries performed include eye, ear, nose and throat (ENT), general surgery, gynecologic, plastic surgery, podiatry and orthopedics. Apply Now! Come Join our Team!
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Under the direction of a Registered Nurse, the OR Technician contributes to the company by assisting with the provision of safe and effective nursing care in accordance with a defined scope of practice. Duties may include: direct patient care and observation; scrubbing and assisting surgeon at the operative field; surgical room turnover between cases, collection and recording of pertinent clinical data in the medical record; and consistent collaboration with the Registered Nurse in clinical decision making. Nursing care meets the standards of the regulatory guidelines, policies and procedures of the Center, and is appropriate to the Center’s patient population.
OPERATIONAL DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Demonstrates necessary practical, technical, or specialized skills required for the role of the surgical technician in accordance with AST (Association of Surgical Technologist).
- Demonstrates basic knowledge and understanding of surgical procedures to enable proper performance of scrub duties and to anticipate the needs of the surgeon.
- Assists in preparing the operative suite for surgery by checking and gathering supplies, equipment, and instruments.
- Ensures availability of adequate supplies, equipment, and instruments for scheduled cases and assists in opening cases in a sterile manner.
- Utilizes physician preference cards to set up each case; updates cards when indicated, and routing updated cards in the approved manner.
- Ensures that instruments are working properly before and after each case.
- Assists with patient positioning, skin preparation, and surgical draping according to surgeon’s protocol.
- Assists the surgeon during a surgical procedure with a high degree of efficiency, anticipating surgeon’s and patient needs during the case.
- Assists with application of dressing splints and casts.
- Conscientiously observes and reports any breaks in sterile technique to attending surgeon and RN circulator.
- Ensures that surgical asepsis is maintained in the handling of instruments, sponges, sutures, drains, needles, and dressings.
- Ensures accurate sponge, needle, and instrument counts are completed when indicated and prior to patient leaving the OR.
- Remove drapes at the completion of procedure and assist with preparing patient for transfer to the PACU staff to ensure continuity of care.
- Facilitates effective and efficient transition between surgical procedures.
- Assists in the turnover of the O.R. suites between cases, disposing of trash and linens, and cleaning of equipment and environmental surfaces, as required.
- Utilizes preference cards and updates them, as necessary.
- Utilizes appropriate body mechanics in moving patients, stretchers, and OR tables and other equipment to prevent injury to patient and self.
- Participates in detailed time out process and ensures it is done according to policy.
- Assists in the maintenance and care of specimens. Identifies specimen with surgeon and passes specimen to the circulating RN. Verifies correcting labeling
- Recognizes emergency situations and responds effectively.
- Assists circulating nurse during local procedures as assigned.
- Remains aware of safety precautions required to minimize the possibility of patient injuries
- Handles instruments and supplies during and after procedure to minimize injury to self and others.
- Demonstrates knowledge related to maintenance, cleanliness, and sterilization of instruments and equipment. Maintains a sanitary environment for the provision of patient care.
- Appropriately handles the disposal of biohazardous materials.
- Restocks area daily, using appropriate par levels and daily stock sheets.
- Checks for outdated sterile supplies and instruments and assists with reprocessing as needed.
- Prepares procedure room for use the following day by bringing in equipment, setting up, "pulling cases" accurately, and reporting to supervisor items that are needed and not available.
- Spends appropriate time and energy on tasks and assignments based on the policies that are supportive of the Center’s goals and objectives.
- Functions independently according to job responsibilities and within scope of practice utilizing current standards of care.
- Takes personal initiative to maintain current BCLS.
- Uses facility resources appropriately and avoids wasteful practices.
- Attends all mandatory in-services, staff meetings, and participates in emergency drills.
- Participates in the orientation of new employees.
- Completes annual competency and other required education as assigned.
- Maintains confidentiality of records and patient information at all times.
Age Specific Care:
- The patient care requirements may include those of pediatric, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric populations.
Click here for more info: https://hca.taleo.net/careersection/0hca/jobdetail.ftl?job=01338-3493&lang=en
• Post ID: 51045593 miami